James Thomson is one of the most qualified lawyers in NSW having studied at Harvard Law School, University of Sydney, University of New South Wales and The College Of Law.
James is a well-known and highly respected lawyer with over 19 years’ experience working in local law firms in Newcastle, top tier law firms in Sydney, and international law firms in London. Having recently completed Harvard Law School’s Program on Negotiation in Boston, USA, James implements his cutting edge negotiation skills for the benefit of his clients.
Widely respected within the profession, James is a tenacious negotiator who provides his clients with the highest quality legal advice and outstanding client service.
James has worked exceptionally hard to earn an unrivalled reputation for outstanding legal results. His dedication and commitment to providing incomparable service have achieved ongoing success for his clients.
With a high percentage of referral business, James’s long list of repeat clients endorse his talent for providing clients with exceptional legal advice that is commercial, practical and effective.
Areas of Practice
- Residential and commercial property conveyancing, contract reviews and contract preparation, buying and selling property, property transfers, first home buyers, off the plan sales and purchases, property development and subdivisions, stamp duty advice, self managed super fund purchases using bare trusts
- Finance and loan documents including mortgages, caveats and independent legal advice on personal guarantee documents for guarantors
- Commercial leases, retail leases and disclosure statements and leasing advice including drafting leases, reviewing and negotiating leases and acting for landlords and tenants, arranging transfer of leases and drafting deed of assignment of lease, drafting and advising on agreements for lease for build to lease transactions, license agreements and subleases
- Estate planning including wills, enduring powers of attorney, appointments of enduring guardians, testamentary discretionary trusts, all needs protective trusts, blended family wills, life estates and right of residence/ life interest trusts
- Business succession planning for family groups, high net worth individuals and privately held businesses including strategies for protection of family wealth through loan and security documentation for family and related entity loans, reviewing trust, SMSF and corporate documentation and advising on strategies and documentation for succession of control
- Deceased estates administration including applications for grants of probate and letters of administration, acting for executors in all aspects of estate administration including notices of death and transmission applications, realisation of estate assets and arranging estate distribution to beneficiaries
- Disputes involving deceased estates, including contested probate claims, contested wills due to lack of testamentary capacity or undue influence, and family provision claims under the Succession Act, acting for both applicants in family provision claims and executors representing the estate
- Commercial dispute resolution and commercial contracts review and advice
- Business law including business sale and purchase contracts and advice regarding business acquisitions and employment law issues
- Business law advice including drafting and advising on unitholder agreements, shareholder agreements, joint venture agreements, partnership agreements and buy/sell agreements
- Asset protection and business structures including establishment of unit trusts, discretionary trusts and companies, transfer of business assets to self managed superannuation funds
- Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School
- Master of Laws, The University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Laws, The University of New South Wales
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting), The University of New South Wales
- National Mediation Accreditation Training, The Resolution Institute
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, The College of Law NSW
- Supreme Court of New South Wales
- High Court of Australia
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Newcastle Law Society
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners
Get In Touch With James Thomson
Fill in our contact form to arrange a consultation with James. Please include any details regarding your legal matter.